I made chicken bites recently and had left over coconut milk. I did a quick search and found this really easy recipe. I followed the instructions provided. It was good, but I think it’s an acquired taste. It’s more bitter than I normally prefer (my husband liked the flavour though – he loves 99% chocolate so that doesn’t surprise me!). As you will see there is no added sugar so it’s not very sweet. I find coconut milk sweet on it’s own so I think next time I’ll use less chocolate. I also don’t think I need as many chia seeds to thicken it up. I will probably try cutting the chia seeds in half. Both myself and my husband found the texture of the chia seeds a little overwhelming. It only took me 5 minutes to make so I will have to try this again with some changes. I am hopeful that this simple recipe can be adjusted into something that I will love!
I copied the ingredients and process from here on Stupid Easy Paleo and have adjusted the wording to match what I did:
- 400 ml coconut milk (minus 2 tablespoons that I used here)
- 50g dark chocolate (I used 88%), chopped
- 1 tbsp organic cocoa powder
- 5 tbsp organic chia seeds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, chopped dark chocolate and cocoa powder.
- Warm the coconut milk until the chocolate is completely melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the chia seeds and vanilla extract. [Hint: add the chia seeds while stirring continuously or else they will stick to the bottom of the pan in one big gelatinous lump.]
- Stir thoroughly until the chia seeds begin to thicken the mixture a bit.
- Pour into small serving cups and refrigerate for at least an hour until the mixture is very thick.